Is translocation aberration in chromosome can be inherited?

Patient

Q: Is translocation aberration in chromosome can be inherited? Or it is just happen randomly?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

A translocation is when one gene part moves to another part of the chromosome. One example is translocation 9:22. Which means the chromosome 9 part moves to chromosome 22. This causes CML. Now, this can occur on random in people when cells are dividing.

Some translocations such as the Robinsonian translocation which occurs in Down Syndrome. This is one which can be transmitted. So, both your statements are true.

I hope this helps you. All the best.