Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Is waking up at night and sleeping during the day healthy?

Is waking up at night and sleeping during the day healthy?

Patient: Is waking up at night and sleeping during the day healthy? I would still be getting the same amount of sleep, so I wouldn’t be lacking in any way. Also, isn’t the human body easily adaptable?

Doctor: HelloThanks for using “Ask The Doctor” for posting your query.Our sleep rhythm depends on the melatonin secretion in the body and this depends on the intensity of the light that we are exposed to. In the night when the light exposure reduces, the melatonin secretion in the body increases and we get the natural sleep. Now this rhythm is helpful in maintaining our health. Any disruption of this routine can impair our health and not recommended. However in cases where it is unavoidable, not much can be done. So as far as possible stick to the natural routine.Hope this helps.Wish you a good health.