Isolated but Severe Migraines and Pressure Behind One Eye

Patient

Q: For the last few weeks, I have been experiencing severe migraines during the day at work. The pain is isolated to the left side of my head, directly behind my temple. I also experience severe pressure/pain behind my left eye. My vision is still clear, and I have never had migraine or vision problems before. The first recommendation I received was to see an eye doctor, but I was wondering if there was any other course of action I could take, or if I should be more concerned than I am?

Symptoms:  Severe Pain Isolated to Left Side of Head
Heavy Pain/Pressure behind left eye.
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question.

There are some concerning points you mentioned: the duration of symptoms and the fact you do not have a known history of migraines.

The possibilities are quite extensive and the first step should be to see your family doctor within the next week for a comprehensive neurological exam to rule out head/brain conditions.

Because of your past history of no migraines, blood work will also be done.

A visit to the eye doctor is helpful but it can only assess eye diseases and it can not investigate other causes which is essential given the duration of symptoms.