Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > It hurts terribly bad when i cough My throat has

It hurts terribly bad when i cough My throat has

Patient: It hurts terribly bad when i cough. My throat has been bothering for 2 days now. I just woke up in the middle of the night and now it hurts too much to cough now. I feel like when i cough, im coughing through a ball in my throat, and theres an unexplainable pain when i cough too. Swallowing isnt too bad but it still hurts. It is 1:30 AM and the coughing just started hurting this much when i woke up. Since it is so early in the morning i dont want to wake my parents up just to ask about my throat. I dont know if age matters but im 14 years old

Doctor: HelloWelcome to Ask The Doctor. We are here to help you.You seem to be suffering from Bronchitis or Allergic Cough . Smoking is the main factor behind it, however it can occur in non-smokers too due to allergy.I would advise in such scenario to get Hemogram with ESR, ECG, Chest Xray. If the Chest Xray and these blood investigations show no sign of infection then, you would be treated for Bronchitis.If you have chest congestion, then inhalers containing bronchi dilators like Salbutamol would be required. You might also require short dose of Steroid inhaler like Budenoside.Your doctor will also prescribe you anti-allergic like Levocetirizine for long term.Share my opinion with your doctor before acting upon it.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy