Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Itchiness and yellowish discharge

Itchiness and yellowish discharge

Patient: I am a an 18 year old girl and my boyfriend and i decided it was time for him to break my virginity. he did try breaking my virginity but it was too painful so we decided to stop. now some time after that my vagina has been really itchy ever since and i have just noticed some yellowish discharge what might be causing this??

Doctor: The discharge that you are experiencing could be due to bacterial vaginosis. The causes of bacterial vaginosis are sexua l activity, vaginal douching, improper hygiene and recurrent antibiotics. Treatment includes oral or vaginal metronidazole and also vaginal clindamycin cream. Oral metronidazole can cause some minor but unpleasant side effects, but is believed to be the most effective treatment.