x
Browse
156 Physicians Online

Question:

Itchiness in anus?

I am having a problem with itchiness in my rectum. The itchiness does not only appear at night, but seems to worsen when I lay down. There has been no visual evidence of worms or bumps anywhere near my anus, and the itchiness has been present for over a month. There is no pain while defecating and no blood when I wipe, and sitting in warm water in the bath tub for about 10 minutes seems to relieve itchiness. I am 17 and a half years old and both my grandmother and my aunt have been diagnosed with cancer, pancreatic and ovarian respectively.

Answer:

According to the description you provided, Itchiness in the anal region might be explained due to the particular characteristics by either Pinworms or possibly an outer hemorrhoid.
Enterobious vermicularis or Pinworms are spread directly from person to person. They can also be spread by touching bedding, food, or other items contaminated with the eggs. Female worms move to the anal area, especially at night, and deposit more eggs. This may cause intense itching. The area may even become infected. However an outer hemorrhoid usually presents with itching more commonly than bleeding and could also be the main cause, especially if you also suffer from constipation.
I would suggest you to consult rule out these possibilities, the only way to do it is by consulting your Primary care physician, and you might need to take anti parasitic medication such as Albendazole or Mebendazole. Avoid scratching the area, wash your hands constantly and if hemorrhoid is confirmed, increase the fiber and fluids in your diet. I wish you a prompt recovery.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

Dr. Suneel Sharman

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

Dr. Kunaal Jindal

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA