Itching, burning and confused

Q: My boyfriend and I practice safe sex, we are both faithful, and I have a burning sensation after I urinate, I also have a sensation of urinating again right after urination, I've had a slight itch inside my vagina and I also have had an itch in my anus, any idea what's wrong with me?

Symptoms:  Itching

A:   Thank you for your question. It is great that you are practicing safe sex and are in a monogamous relationship. This greatly reduces your chances of contracting a sexually transmitted infection. Even though this may be the case, it is common to contract urinary tract infections when you are sexually active. These infections may be caused by bacteria that are naturally present in the genital region such as e.coli. It is possible that your symptoms of dysuria, urgency, and vaginal itching may be due to a urinary tract infection. We recommend that you see your doctor to have a urine test performed to see if you have a UTI. If diagnosed, you will be prescribed antibiotics to treat this. In the meantime we want to encourage you to drink copious amounts of water to assist in flushing your urinary tract of the infection.

Thank you for choosing