Itching knuckle on left hand with no visible abnormalities

Q: The top knuckle of the middle finger on my left hand as been itching on/off for about the last month. Not other locations/spots itch. There are no visible signs of bites, bumps, redness, dryness, etc.
I have been putting lotion on it once-twice a day to try and help it. Tried an eczema lotion once as well as a steroid creme/lotion one day.
Had been wearing a ring on that finger. Have had the ring for many years and have worn it on different fingers. No issues before. Have not worn the ring for the past week and still no change.
The type of itch reminds me of a bug bite -if I itch the knuckle, the itch becomes more intense and does not subside.
No changes in diet or medication.
25 year old female.

Symptoms:  itching knuckle. No visible signs of being abnormal.

A:   Thank you for your question. There could be a number of causes of your itch. However, without a thorough examination of the area we can only offer possibilities as to what may be causing your problem. One possibility could be a localized inflammatory skin condition such as atopic dermatitis or eczema. This is commonly treated with corticosteroid medication with excellent results. Secondly, since you described this rash to be similar to an insect bit, it is possible that you could have been bitten by an insect such as fleas or bed bugs and are having a chronic reaction to such at bite. We recommend that you have this area looked at by your doctor. Since it has been one month, we don't want to recommend that you wait any longer to see if it will resolve on its own.

Thank you for choosing