Itching on the legs till bleeding occurs.

Patient

Q: I have a friend who woke up itching mostly just the legs,they said it itches so bad that they scratch till it bleeds,and then it leaves sores all over their legs what is it and what should they do

Doctor

A:   The itching may be caused due to an allergic reaction or due to pathogens such as dust mites and scabies infection. Your friend may need to see if he has been in contact with a new object in the house such as clothes, bed sheets, soap or creams. If the itching continues your friend may need to see an allergist/dermatologist to identify the cause. Treatment with antihistamines like cetirizine and topical anesthetic creams will help relieve the symptoms.