Itchy chin when I have a cold

Patient

Q: Hi there,

I have a horrible cold at the moment. Blocked nose, throbbing headache, dizzy, and coughing.

My chin is incredibly itchy, so itchy that it's just started to bleed because of how much I've been scratching it. This happens every time I have a cold. I don't think it's an allergy as I don't have any that I know of and it only happens when I have a cold.

I'd like to know why this happens, please.

Thank you.

Symptoms:  Symptoms: itchy chin during typical cold.
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. It seems as though you have developed a rash in this area of your face. It is possible that this could be caused by the bacteria that is causing your cold. Since you have broken the skin from scratching so much it is possible that this could become easily infected. We recommend that you have this examined by your doctor. You may need to apply a topical anti-inflammatory medication to treat this inflammation and itching. Please see your doctor.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com