Itchy irritated vagina, what is the cause?

Patient

Q: For the last week and a half my vagina has been ver itchy and red all around it, tonight my inner lips started to swell up pretty noticbly big, im to scared to say anything but im very worried, what is this, what should i do about it? Im a 17 year old girl, haveonly had one sexual partner whom has been my boyfriend for 7 months.

Doctor

A:   The itching could be a symptom of a sexually transmitted infection or contact dermatitis due to an irritant. I would however advise you to get yourself check for the presence of an infection and treat accordingly. You may also take measures to relieve the symptoms like wearing cotton underwear, adequate hydration and avoid putting creams/perfume in the affected area.