Itchy red raised spots after pulling out bracken

Q: I was pulling out bracken last Thursday and since then I have had small raised red itchy spots appear on my body, mostly arms neck and chest the back of my left leg was itchy ... I plastered myself with calamine over the weekend and antihistimine tablets but I really would like to know if it was the bracken that caused it

Symptoms:  Very itchy red raised areas

A:   Bracken or Pteridium allergy is commonly reported by people who go mountain trekking or are involved in gardening. Since, your symptoms are most likely due to sensitivity to Bracken, you are advised to avoid direct contact, or use protective gloves (gardening gloves) while handling such vegetation. Although, the treatment followed by you was correct, you should always consult a doctor for appropriate dosage and duration of therapy.