x
191 Physicians Online

Question:

Itchy spots on My Head Not relieved on Medication.

I keep getting very itchy spots on the back of my head and behind my ears which sometimes grow quite large and weep. I have tried medicated shampoo's which dry them up but they soon reappear.

Answer:

Scalp infections are caused by infectious and non infectious agents. The infections of the scalp include fungal, folliculitis due to bacteria, and viral (herpes zoster & herpes simplex). The non infectious causes include eczema, psoriasis, autoimmune disorders. I would suggest that you consult your doctor or a dermatologist to rule out infections and also investigate you for the non infectious causes by doing a complete blood count, microscopical analysis of any discharge and local skin.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA