151 Physicians Online

Itchy spots on My Head Not relieved on Medication.

I keep getting very itchy spots on the back of my head and behind my ears which sometimes grow quite large and weep. I have tried medicated shampoo's which dry them up but they soon reappear.

Scalp infections are caused by infectious and non infectious agents. The infections of the scalp include fungal, folliculitis due to bacteria, and viral (herpes zoster & herpes simplex). The non infectious causes include eczema, psoriasis, autoimmune disorders. I would suggest that you consult your doctor or a dermatologist to rule out infections and also investigate you for the non infectious causes by doing a complete blood count, microscopical analysis of any discharge and local skin.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

Dr. Suneel Sharman

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

Dr. Kunaal Jindal

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA