Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > It’s been 9 days since my surgery and I have

It’s been 9 days since my surgery and I have

Patient: It’s been 9 days since my surgery and I have a flight.How long After left mandible jaw surgery should I board a plane?

Doctor: Hi.Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.Mandibular surgery on left side 9 days ago – have a flight – wan ts to know when can the plain be boarded…Please tell me what was the exact procedure done?As a general rule, if there is no post-op complications or sequel and unless specifically told by your Surgeon you can board the plane anytime after 7-9 days.Also depends upon the duration of flight. Flights of shorter duration are always safe.Otherwise air-ambulances would not have been in practice.Of course it is the direction/advise given by your Surgeon or his Nurse that you have to follow, as he exactly known the procedure and likely sequel.I hope this answers your query.

Patient: I had a fractured mandible and a plate was put in my jaw.
Plus concussion.
My forehead is still a little swollen but otherwise I’m fine.
The flight is only 3-4 hours in distance. He said 10+ days but I wanted to know if 8-9 days was still safe.? I’m for and healthy aswell with no medical history.

Doctor: Thanks for your feedback.
If plating is done you can certainly take a flight .
Carry on if there is no issue with brain injury.