Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > It’s midnight and I just sliced the top corner of my thumb

It’s midnight and I just sliced the top corner of my thumb

Patient: It’s midnight and I just sliced the top corner of my thumb off with an xacto knife. I didn’t cut any muscle and no bone is showing. I immediately Applied pressure and then ran it under cold water. The bleeding hasn’t come through the paper towel and I don’t want to disturb the clot. My question is, should I go to the emergency room or can it wait until tomorrow? It stings but I can move my thumb without pain. I’m really only concerned about how it would heal if I don’t get medical attention now.

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.The wound does not really sound to b e too deep, and as the bleeding has stopped as of now, there is no need to visit ER.However, you need to get a tetanus shot, and that can be done in the next 24 hours following the injury.Make sure the area is clean, as these wounds are prone to infection. If your physician recommends, you can apply Mupirocin ointment prophylactically to prevent any infections.Hope this was helpful,Regards.