I've always had regular periods with 28 day cycle I'm

Q: I've always had regular periods with 28 day cycle. I'm a mother of 2 kids. Both normal deliveries. Had 1 D&C 3 years ago. No history of miscarriages. My first day of LMP was on 13 March 2015. I missed my period the following month and tested positive for pregnancy when I tested with a self kit on 17 April. I visited a GP soon after for urine test to confirm pregnancy. Got a referral to see Gynea Specialist on 22 May, today. I went to the hospital today and a dating scan was done. Sonographer did a vaginal scan and showed me the sac and fetus. However, she told me she could not detect fetal heartbeat. When I went to see the doc, she saw the scan image and told me I'm 5 weeks pregnant and that not getting a heartbeat isn't a gd sign. I was just too stunned to ask the many qns I wanted to ask n left soon after. She has asked to come in for another scan in a wk's time to confirm the status again.

My first qn now is how can I be just 5 wks pregnant when I am supposed to be 8-9 wks based on my LMP? Which should I follow?
Secondly, is it something to worry about that a heartbeat isn't detected at this stage? I'm very scared and boggled as to what's happening. I'm badly looking forward for this baby. And the doc didn't seem helpful or comforting in any way. Pls help.