Ask The Doctor > Pending > I’ve been attempting to lose body fat and I have

I’ve been attempting to lose body fat and I have

Patient: I’ve been attempting to lose body fat and I have a question about the calculators I’ve been using to determine my daily calorie needs. I’ve used a few different kinds, but the Harris Benedict equation is usually the one that seems to be talked about the most, besides the Mifflin-St Jeore equation. Anyway, with the Harris Benedict equation, you have to multiply your BMR by your daily activity level. The activity levels given to choose from are:1.2 = sedentary (little or no exercise)1.375 = light activity (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week)1.550 = moderate activity (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week)1.725 = very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week)1.900 = extra active (very hard exercise/sports and physical job)Now, I myself am pretty active. I strength train 3x a week, and on those days I’ve been going on 30 – 40 minute runs (my girlfriend is a runner and likes a buddy) and along with this I’ll skateboard for about an hour (usually at a fairly high intensity, a lot of jumps, tricks, heavy pushing, etc.). The skateboarding and running take place every day (weather permitting) except for Saturday, in which i take a full day off from all exercise to let myself recover. So, I was wondering what the correct activity level for me would be? Also, I was wondering when it says “exercise/sports” if it means you do both or one or the other.

Doctor: