I've been experiencing heart palpitations for the last two d

Q: I've been experiencing heart palpitations for the last two days. With some shortness of breath and what feels like an electrical shock in my heart. Upper back pain pain, as well as stomach pain off and on. I'm a forty year old female. I don't want to go to the emergency department and look stupid if there's nothing wrong. But the way my heart keeps pounding so hard and then stops is scary.

A:   Welcome to Ask The Doctor. We are here to help you.

These symptoms of heart fluttering are known as "Palpitations" Now, Palpitations can be because of Cardiac issues and can also be because of anxiety, thyroid issues, drugs. I would like to rule out Thyroid issues and Cardiac Arryhthmia's in cases of Palpitations. You should check if you are taking any drugs like Salbutamol for Asthma.
Following tests are recommended:
1. Thyroid Profile
2. ECG
If they are normal, you should start practicing yoga and meditation as probably your palpitations are because of Anxiety only. You should avoid excess of caffeine.
I would advise you strongly not to consume alcohol and do smoking in case you do.

I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy