Ive been feeling very stressed and depressed for a few

Patient : Ive been feeling very stressed and depressed for a few years now. I'm currently taking no medications and I've tried doing things such as walks and excersise groups but nothing is working. My question is there any medications that could possibly help me?
Doctor :   Hello Thanks for using "Ask The Doctor" for posting your query. The symptoms that you are mentioning could be due to depression. I agree that walking and exercise will improve mild depression but not the ones which have existed this long and this severe. For these symptoms you will require treatment with antidepressants like fluoxetine or escitalopram or mirtazapine etc. These medicines need to be continued for few months and then the symptom improvement occurs after 1-2 months. Also cognitive behavioural therapy can also help you. Cognitive behavioural therapy is a specialized counselling therapy. This involves detailed assessment of the thought process of the person and identifies all the cognitive distortions which are leading to depression. These cognitive distortions are then modified leading to a tremendous change in the way a person thinks. Ones a thought process is altered,it leads to a change in the way a person feels or behaves. Its supposed to be as effective as medicines and can be used for depression. Hope this helps, Wish you a good health.