I've been having pain on the left side of my chest

Patient

Q: I've been having pain on the left side of my chest for about 2 weeks now. It's located around where my heart is, which frightens me. It feels almost like a pulling or sharp prick feeling anytime I move the slightest bit. I've been brushing it off but it's really been affecting me. What could it be?By the way, I'm an 18 year female - don't know if but if info this helps or not.

Doctor

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query.

Noted your history of pain in the left side of the chest where your heart is. It is there for 2 weeks now. The nature of the pain is like pulling or sharp pricking even on slightest of the movement: this is what decides this to be a most probable diagnosis of Costochondritis. This is the condition where the pain is localized, over the ribs, can be elicited on pressure and increases with stress and anxiety.
Considering your age and sex such pains are unlikely to be of heart origin, so stop worrying.

I hope this answer helps you and please discuss this with your Physician.