I've been on nuvaring for about 4 years

Patient

Q: I've been on nuvaring for about 4 years. This morning, my bf and I took it out to have intercourse. ( my PCP said that was OK, as long as I put it back in within 3 hours) well, I forgot to reinsert until this evening. That means it's been out of my vagina for about 16-18 hours. I am on week 3 of my cycle, and I'm scheduled to take it out for my monthly cycle (the fourth week) in 2 days from now. Is there a chance of being pregnant?

Doctor

A:   Hi,

Though the possibility of ovulation and pregnancy are less while using NuvaRing, as the ring was out for 16 to 18 hours, the possibility of pregnancy cannot be completely ruled out.
So, wait for your withdrawal bleeding in the fourth week.
If you do not get withdrawal bleeding even one week after removal of the ring, please go for urine pregnancy test once to rule out the possibility of pregnancy.

Take care