Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I’ve been on the pill for over a week but

I’ve been on the pill for over a week but

Patient: I’ve been on the pill for over a week but I started it wrong. I took a sugar pill on the first day of my period and continued throughout my period and took 3 active ones after it ended. I thought if you start taking the pill on the first day of your period you’re immediately protected but apparently that only applies to active tablets. I had unprotected sex where he came inside me. I went and got the morning after pill 10 hours after sex. Should I be worried about pregnancy?

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.You are only protected after 7 days of starting the active pills and not when you take sugar pills instead of active pills. Also, since you have had a sexual intercourse and taken an emergency pill on time, it reduces the chances of pregnancy. However, there is always a failure rate of 0.5% with emergency pills and it is better to do a pregnancy test after 14 days of intercourse or on the day of missed period to rule out pregnancy.Hope this helped.Regards