I've been taking birth control regularly and just got an

Patient : I've been taking birth control regularly and just got an extremely heavy period in the middle of the pack..I took an extra pill to slow it down..why could this be?
Symptoms:  Irregular heavy bleeding
Doctor :   Hello, Thanks for the query. Initially when you have been started on birth control, there can be heavy cycles and in termenstrual bleeding. This is a common side effect of the birth control pills and it needs to be corrected. Taking an extra pill will further dysregulate the hormones and cause more bleeding. Consult a gynecologist for an examination, if required additional hormonal supplements will be added. Hope this helped. Regards