Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I’ve had a pea sized, skin colour lump on the

I’ve had a pea sized, skin colour lump on the

Patient: I’ve had a pea sized, skin colour lump on the opening of my anus for a few months now. It doesn’t hurt nor itch, there’s no bleeding and only very slight discomfort. I am able to get about on my normal day without it distracting me but I just don’t know what it is.

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.According to your description the skin color lump you menti oned could be sentinel pile, which appears as a skin tag, it is a mucosal thickening at the lower end of a chronic anal fissure.Small sentinel pile may not lead to much problem, by preventing constipation, progression of fissure can be avoided.If sentinel pile increases in size and causes discomfort, better to get it removed with your doctor’s advice.Take care