Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I’ve had a sore throats now for more than a week.

I’ve had a sore throats now for more than a week.

Patient: I’ve had a sore throats now for more than a week with what feels like swollen painful glands. I have a history of sinus infections…strep throat?

Doctor: Hi.Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.Noted your history of sore throat of more than a week, swollen painful glands, history of sinus infection. Wants to know whether this is strep throat.As you may know strep throat can be specifically diagnosed by strep test. Please get the test done.Your history of sinus infection suggests that if it is active now can cause sore throat with glands and may be constitutional symptoms as the infection from sinuses goes to throat as postnasal drip.In either case you need a course of proper prescription based antibiotics, anti-inflammatory medications, decongestant and supportive and symptomatic treatment under the guidance of your Doctor.Please follow this guideline till you get a cure to avoid recurrences in future.Go for additional investigations if your Doctor/ENT suggests so to get to the basic problems.I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.Regards,