I've had an itchy scalp for a while now &

Q: I've had an itchy scalp for a while now & my boyfriend has also developed some itchiness too. I'm a nurse & familiar with how head lice/eggs look but I have thoroughly checked both of us and I'm sure we don't have them. (We used the head lice lotion to be absolutely sure but this hasn't helped) . There is some flaking on the scalp but nothing excessive but the itching is acute. Is there anything else that this could be?

Symptoms:  Acute scalp itching

A:   Hello. Welcome to ask the doctor. I understand your concern.

The most common reason for itch scalp of acute onset is Pediculosis capitis that is head lice. It is treated by using a lotion containing permethrin. I would recommend my patients to repeat the application of lotion after a week again to ensure complete eradication of lice.
If you have done like this then the condition is ruled out.

The other possibility in your case is Seborrhoeic capitis. It is characterised by flakes deposits in scalp associated with itch. In such cases, I advice my patients to use anti dandruff shampoo containing ketoconazole.

The severity of seborrhoeic capitis may vary from mild to moderate to severe.
Accordingly flaking may be mild or excessive. Sometimes itch doesn't correlate with severity of the disease.
I will advise you to visit your doctor so that he can examine you and give you prescription.

I hope it helps.
Stay healthy.