Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I’ve had the ensure birth control for over two years.

I’ve had the ensure birth control for over two years.

Patient: I’ve had the essure birth control for over two years, I was sexually active almost two weeks ago and I started spotting three days ago and still spotting a little here and there, is there a possibility I could be pregnant?

Doctor: Unscheduled vaginal bleeding may have local or systemic causes.Local causes include trauma and infection. Systemic ca uses, for example, may be hormonal imbalance that is caused by Thyroid diseases or Polycystic ovaries. Please have this examined and get treated if your doctor may so feels. Essure should not cause spotting after two years of uneventful use.