Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Ive never checked my blood sugar My maternal grandfather

Ive never checked my blood sugar My maternal grandfather

Patient: Ive never checked my blood sugar. My maternal grandfather and mother both have diabetes. I decided to check it on my mothers tonight. It was around 2-3 hrs after eating. The number was 326 and then tested again it was 222. I plan on checking again in the morning. They said that was high. Should I be concerned? Thank you

Doctor: Hello. Welcome to Ask The Doctor.Your blood sugar levels are extremely high.You need to be started on Treatment.Metformin alone is not going to control your blood sugars.You would require a combination of Metformin and Glimepiride for the purpose.You should not play with these drugs as this can be harmful.See your doctor, get an evaluation done and you would require to get dose adjustments based on blood sugar levels.I would advise you to get following investigations done:1. HbA1c2. Fasting lipid profile3. Serum creatinine4. Urine for micro albumin.5. ECG.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy