I've never dyed my hair before but I'm about to

Q: I've never dyed my hair before but I'm about to. The box says to do a patch test 48 hours prior to application and to not wash the area. It has been 2 days (not 48 hours yet) but the area did come into contact with water. So far I've had no skin reaction at all, but I felt mild itchiness in my eye (not sure if that's related). The ingredients on the box do mention PPD. Given that I get no other skin reaction within the 48 hour mark, will it be safe to go ahead with the hair dye?

Symptoms:  Itchy eye

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

The hair dye contains ammonia which will cause the release of ammonia gas. This can cause irritation of the eye. Please use eye drops to help with the pain and the irritation.
See a Doctor if you are not better after 3 days.

Hope this helps you. All the best.