Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I’ve taken two pregnancy tests

I’ve taken two pregnancy tests

Patient: I’ve taken two pregnancy tests and they both came out negative but I’ve been spotting and feeling nauseous. Could the tests be wrong?

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.It is the timing of the pregnancy tests that mostly determine the accuracy. The best ti me to perform them is on the day or within a week of missing the expected cycle. It can also be done from day 25 onwards of the cycle, provided the cycles are regular in nature. Also doing them after 2 months of pregnancy may alter the results, blood tests of beta hCG are more reliable than the urine pregnancy tests. Consult a Gynecologist for an evaluation and further follow up on this.Hope this helped.Regards