Ivw always lost hair but recently it's even more than

Patient

Q: Ivw always lost hair but recently it's even more than usual?

Symptoms:  Lots of hair loss especially when I wash my hair or am combing it. It falls out everywhere around the house
Doctor

Welcome to ATD. Thank you for the query.

You may be seeing more hair in your brush than normal for several reasons. Vitamin deficiencies, thyroid problems, and menopause are all culprits of hair loss.

If a medical condition is causing your hair loss, it may need to be treated.

If you are experiencing hair loss there are things you can do to prevent further loss.Don’t wear tight hairstyles like braids, ponytails, or buns that put too much pressure on your hair. Over time those styles permanently damage your hair follicles. Make sure your diet is nutritionally balanced and that you are getting adequate amounts of iron and protein. Try not to pull on your hair or twist/rub it.

Certain beauty regimens can actually worsen or cause hair loss. If you are currently losing hair, use a gentle baby shampoo to wash your hair. Unless you have extremely oily hair, you may consider washing your hair only every other day. Always pat the hair dry and avoid rubbing your hair.

Styling products and tools are also common culprits in hair loss.

Medications will likely be the first course of treatment for hair loss. Over-the-counter medications generally consist of topical creams and gels that are applied directly to the scalp. The most common products contain an ingredient called minoxidil (Rogaine). According to the American Academy of Dermatology, minoxidil achieves the best results when used in conjunction with other hair loss treatments. Side effects of minoxidil include scalp irritation and hair growth in adjacent areas like your forehead or face.

Hope this helps. Take care.