Jasmin versus Femulen contraceptive pill

Patient

Q: I am 43 years of age and a smoker, approx 20 a day. I was prescribed Femulen by my doctor in the UK but have now moved to Portugal and cannot get it here, I have been told Jasmin is similair which I can get here. I need to know what is the most similair and best pill taking into account my age and the fact I smoke.

Doctor

A:   Femulen is a contraceptive pill containing only progestogen, also called progestogen-only pill or mini pill. This pill is safer for women who are older than 35. It is also safer for women who smoke, have high blood pressure, are overweight or have a history of blood clots.
Yasmin is a combined oral contraceptive pill containing ethinylestradiol and drospirenone. If you have a high blood pressure, smoke, increased weight, headaches and risk for stroke, I would suggest that you consult your doctor for contraceptive pill containing only progestogen.