Jaw Tingling Pain

Patient

Q: Hi!

I am a 23 year old female who has never had any major medical problems. I never have to go to the doctor.. Usually the worst thing I have is a bad cold. About a year or two ago, I started having a painful tingling on the right side of my jaw. (I've felt around in my mouth, and it's not a pain in my teeth or gums.) The pain doesn't happen often.. Every now and then it will just randomly start tingling on and off. The tingle will last for a few seconds, then stop, and over again; this normally only goes on for a little while. However, yesterday the tingling pain started when I woke up around 5am, and this time it lasted all day. Also, my jaw was swollen. I did take some Advil later in the afternoon which did help with the pain, but my jaw was still tender to touch and the swelling did not go down. I wasn't able to eat all day yesterday because each time I would bite down the tingle would immediately start. This morning when I woke up, it felt like the pain was gone. I took one bite of my breakfast, and my jaw instantly felt stiff and very sore to the point where I could not chew because it hurt. I took more Advil, and I have been putting ice on it so far. Again, the Advil is helping, but it is still sore when I touch it.

I'm not sure if this is related, but I also randomly get very sharp back pains. This doesn't happen often either, but the pain will hit me right in my spine. It only lasts for a few seconds, then it's over. Again, this pain doesn't happen often and is completely random.

Yesterday when I was researching my jaw pain, I stumbled upon a woman's story about having Lyme disease. She has a ton of symptoms, but two of hers were face tingling and sharp back pains. I don't know if this is at all the same thing, but I feel it is necessary to mention that I was bitten by a tick back in 2007. I was bitten on the back of my leg in the crease behind my knee. I was told the bite would have left a bullseye rash, but I can't remember if there was a rash or not since it was on the back of my leg. I do remember it took a long time for the bite to go away and heal.

Any information in finding out what this tingling pain might be would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Doctor