Jock itch or yeast infection

Q: Can having a severe case of jock itch or yeast infection cause your inguinal lymph nodes to swell and if so what would be the treatment for this and how long should one expect for the swelling to go down?

Symptoms:  severe case of jock itch in groin area, swelling of the right lymph node area

A:   Thank you for question. It is possible for the inguinal lymph nodes to become inflamed in the case of an infection such as yours. The lymph nodes are organs that assist your body's immune system in fighting infection. As your antibiotic treatment takes affect the swelling will start to decrease as the inflammatory response decreases. This will take some time. In fact, antibiotic medication continues to work for days after completing the course, and it is possible that your swelling will remain for upwards to a week after treatment. If you do not notice any improvement beginning about 2-3 days after your last dose of antibiotics, please see your doctor again.

Thank you for choosing