Jumping out of airplanes after 1 year post meniscus surgery

Q: I had knee surgery last march to repair my mensicus which ive made a full recovery from and with me leaving for the army soon (about 5 months) I was wondering if it would be okay for me to go to Airborne school and jump out of airplanes without causing any damage?

A:   If you have made a full recovery you could try that activity but you have to be very careful knowing that this may bring over stress to your knees. I would like to bring to your attention that there is a very well described entity in the medical literature called: Overuse Syndrome, which can affect any part of the body that is over stressed with movements or activities in a repetitive way, including occupational, recreational, even habitual activities. Repetition is part of the definition of overuse injury. The concept is that overuse injury is associated with repeated challenge without sufficient recovery time, and this is true for Volleyball, Running, Jogging or any other sport or activity in which you exceed the guidelines and your own limits or capacities. Overuse injuries or repetitive motion injuries make up over 50% of all athletic-related injuries seen by doctors. Simple everyday actions, such as throwing a ball, scrubbing a floor, running or jogging, can lead to this condition. The most common types of repetitive motion injuries are tendonitis and bursitis. The healing time is different for each patient, and also depends on the severity of the initial injury.