Just diagnosed with Shingles and on info overload….

Patient: I was just diagnosed with Shingles. I have not broken out in the rash yet (but the pain at this point is INTENSE to say the least- I have gotten antiviral meds/pain meds/natural remedies for this)- my worries, as I have researched this and am on info overload….I understand I can’t pass Shingles except when blisters are oozy and pussy, and I would pass chxpox, not shingles. Which leads me to my question/concern(s). My 23yr old daughter (& all 4 of my kids) never had chicken pox but had the vaccinations as babies. Is this still active in where she can not get the chicken pox virus from me? If she would come in contact could she still get it? She is also the mother of my 8mnth old grandson who I care for (and completely stressed about getting him sick). I’m worried about passing chicken pox to him also. (not sure if he has had the chicken pox shot- even if he has, could he still contract it from me? I know you need to keep the rash covered once broken out, wash hands thoroughly, etc. but….what happens if….? Do I need to stay away from my grandson and my kids who never had chicken pox?Thank you for your time.the “Worried” Grammy

Symptoms: Electric shock throughout back, tingling, sharp stabbing pain, low fever, exhausted

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Shingles is caused by reactivation of the dormant varicella zoster virus, which is the same virus that causes chicken pox. Even though your daughter, and grandchildren have been immunized against chicken pox, there is a small chance that they can contract chicken pox from your shingles outbreak. We recommend that you avoid contact with your grandchildren until your shingles outbreak resolves to prevent the possibility of them contracting the varicella zoster virus and developing chicken pox.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com