Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Just felt the back of my head andat the back

Just felt the back of my head andat the back

Patient: Just felt the back of my head andat the back on both sides has knots. It feels like the back right has two knots. Also I rubbed my fingers behind the back of my ear and I felt a hump behind the right ear. Behind my left is smooth. Can you tell what could this be? Or are these small knots normal?

Doctor: Hi.Thanks for your query.Read and understood your concern.May I please know a few details so that I can assist y ou more:- Are the once at the back fixed or mobile?- any pain on pressure?- any symptoms you have?The commonest reasons for lumps at the back are due to small sebaceous cysts. Since the skin is so tight here they are hardly mobile, but are not fixed.Another common reason is bony outgrowths. These are fixed and not tender.The commonest cause of a lump behind the ear are either the sebaceous cysts or lymph nodes.All these conditions are benign, not cancerous. Please stop worrying.The best way to get the diagnosis is :Clinical evaluation, actual examination by a surgeon. If required FNAC proves the diagnosis.Your finding these incidentally indicate that these are not painful or causing any symptoms or growing.So nothing to worry till you get the proper diagnosis.I hope this answer helps you. Please feel free to ask further relevant query or if you feel that there is a gap of communication.Have a nice day.