Keloids and tattoos

Patient

Q: Hi Doctor!

I have a question concerning keloids and tattoos. When I was 4 years old I had a heart operation that left me with this giant keloid on my chest and upper stomach. I applied some kind of cream and it flattened a little bit and hasn't grown back. I'm thinking of getting a tattoo now, but am concerned about getting another keloid. I've had my ears pierced when I was a baby, and then again 3 times as an adult, and no keloids were formed. From my experience, scars that don't go too deep (like when I burn my hand on an oven) heal normally, without keloids. Scars that go a little deeper than burns but not as deep as surgery scars heals with a little raise of the skin, which goes away after a couple of years.

So if I get a tatoo, would the scars grow into keloids? How deep do the needles go?

Thank you in advance for your answer!
-D-

Doctor