Ketoacidosis with no Diabetes

Patient

Q: Can a person without Diabetes experance ketoacidos?

Doctor

A:   Ketoacidosis occurs when the body is producing large quantities of ketone bodies (acidify the blood ph) via the metabolism of fatty acids (ketosis), and insufficient insulin to slow down this ketones production. In healthy individuals this normally does not occur because the pancreas produces insulin in response to the rising ketone/blood glucose concentration.
Ketoacidosis can occur in alcoholics, other than diabetics, where the body is unable to synthesize enough glucose to meet its needs, thus creating an energy crisis resulting in fatty acid metabolism (burning fat), and ketone body formation.

Ketoacidosis occurs when the body is producing large quantities of ketone bodies (acidify the blood ph) via the metabolism of fatty acids (ketosis), along with insufficient insulin to slow this production. In healthy individuals this normally does not occur because the pancreas produces insulin in response to the rising ketone/blood glucose concentration.