Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Ketogenic diet, and exercising, without weight loss.

Ketogenic diet, and exercising, without weight loss.

Patient: I was diagnosised with breast cancer in July. Lumpectomy and radiation followed and completed by November 1. I’m on no meds. A month ago I started a ketogenic diet with cardio and interval training, before low to moderate exercise .TSH level good @ 1.97 2 months ago. All other blood work good. Drinking 64 oz water daily. My question is…..I have experienced absolutely no weight loss. Why?

Symptoms: None

Doctor: Hello,Welcome to Ask The Doctor.A ketogenic diet does not necessarily reduce weight because it has a high fat, l ow protein and low carbohydrates. I recommend instead that you reduce the amount of food that you consume. Keep the diet that you consume balanced. A balanced diet is one that consumes foods from all food groups.Keep the ratio or Carbohydrate to Protein to Fat at 60:30:10. This is a good balanced amount and will allow weight loss after some time. Also try to be at a deficit of 500 calories per day and aim to lose 1 kg per week.If this does not help you lose weight, you may have some disorder which does not allow weight loss. Please consult a Doctor.