Kid overdosing on suger

Patient : My kid is exibiting poor behavior due to consumming suger in large amounts. When his diet is controlled he is fine. He was sleep walking last night and consummed all the suger in the house. Now he is in some sort of shook. Do I need to take him to the hospital or just wait until his blood sugar level returns to normal?
Doctor :   Hi, Welcome to ATD. Thanks for the query. One of the first effects we notice upon consuming too much sugar is the f eeling of a sugar "high," which involves a buzzing, caffeinated feeling combined with shaking of the hands or tremors in some individuals. The sugar high is the result of very high levels of blood sugar. The second symptom, which generally follows a sugar high within an hour or less, is a sugar "crash." This is a result of the body's compensatory mechanisms working to decrease blood sugar levels to within normal physiological limits.As such, a sugar overdose results in very high blood sugar, shortly followed by very low blood sugar, which causes fatigue, nausea, weakness and hunger. So depending on his symptoms he needs to be managed. Home remedies: Let him drink lots of water. If he is nauseous or if it is already hot outside, this can make it worse, so check his symptoms. But if he is indoors or cool enough,dipping his legs in hot water may help. If you are unable to clearly understand his symptoms or he is unresponsive, you better take him to a hospital as the Physician can examine him directly and manage accordingly. Hope this helps. All the best.

Comments / Follow Ups

Patient: Can you recommend a medical facility or school for troubled teens (16 years) in the Northeast that focuses on diet to correct behavior?
Doctor: Hi,
I am not from the US. So cannot help you with that.Sorry.

Related Q&A

Q: On my home tonight while driving my car, I pulled over and read a message in my car. I ended up sitting in my car for...

Q: How to help my 13 year old girl to grow higher We are concern about my 13 year old daughter growth, (born in Novembe...

Q: I have found two small bumps on my vagina but i have yet to have sex and nor have i shaved down there. But im still a...

Q: I am a 19 year old female and there are a couple of small(about nickle) sized lumps in my butt crack , they hurt if p...

Q: I have a 12yr. old neice who is experiencing headaches, dizziness, shortness of breath, nausea and quizziness, she sa...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon