x
166 Physicians Online

Question:

Kissing and HIV

Hi, my gf is hiv positive and i am not. when we were kissing the other day we got a little rough and her lip got bit and she was bleeding a little which we realized after kissing. im sure the saliva and blood were in my mouth too. Does this put me at a high risk for infection?

Answer:

I understand your concern about HIV transmission; surely any contact with HIV infected blood would put you in risk at some degree.In your case the probabilities are minor after a kiss, but if you had an open wound inside your mouth, certainly there could be a chance. There has not been any documented HIV transmission due to kissing, and certainly is not a way of acquiring it, however since you might have intimate contact with this person, you might want to screen for HIV.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA