x
179 Physicians Online

Question:

Kissing and HIV

Hi, my gf is hiv positive and i am not. when we were kissing the other day we got a little rough and her lip got bit and she was bleeding a little which we realized after kissing. im sure the saliva and blood were in my mouth too. Does this put me at a high risk for infection?

Answer:

I understand your concern about HIV transmission; surely any contact with HIV infected blood would put you in risk at some degree.In your case the probabilities are minor after a kiss, but if you had an open wound inside your mouth, certainly there could be a chance. There has not been any documented HIV transmission due to kissing, and certainly is not a way of acquiring it, however since you might have intimate contact with this person, you might want to screen for HIV.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA