Knee and foot pain

Q: Hello,
I injured my left knee about ten years ago and now when I run or do any activity, after about 15 minutes, I get a sharp pain in my knee, just under the knee cap, as if I have pulled a muscle, and when it gets cold, my knee aches in the same area. The original injury felt like a pulled muscle, and it feels like a pulled muscle which has never really gone away.
I think as a result of this injury, my left foot has compensated in some way, because now I have a pain at the base of my big toe, and it tingles in that area. I have only recently gained movement in my toes of my left leg, after physiotherapy. I can now move my big toe back and forward but I still dont have full movement in the toes of my left foot. Can you please tell me what you think this is and how I can treat it? My doctor told me just to take painkillers!