Knee and foot strain after slipping from a hill

Q: Monday i was standing sideways on a hill when i slipped and twisted my left knee, when i caught myself, i twisted my right foot. Now when i walk up stairs i get sharp pains in my knee and when i walk i have a lot of pain in the top,outside of my right foot, what could be the problem with both areas of pain

A:   According to your description you are experiencing a knee sprain and an ankle sprain due to the twisting during sliding the hill. Sometimes, depending on the severity of the rotational force applied to the knee, the MCL or ACL gets sprained but also the meniscus may be injured at the same time. Meniscal injuries are a common problem in sports and in young active individuals; they are the most frequent injury to the knee joint. Most of the time, if uncomplicated, these injuries heal in few weeks applying cold/warm compresses and taking anti-inflammatory medication, but if after a few weeks you continue having pain, swelling and limitation, I strongly recommend an evaluation by an orthopedic doctor or sports medicine specialist including physical and MRI, to determine the current status of your knee problem and accordingly apply the best treatment. I suggest , for now, that you protect your knee reducing loads by postural corrections, activities modification and wearing adequate footgear,  you could use a knee “sleeve” also, but the most important at this time for you is prevent new injuries, and avoid , by all means, rotational and abrupt movements that may injured ligaments, meniscus or capsule.