Knee Effusions: Synovitis

Patient : If someone has water on the knee , how do they know it;s water , and if so whats the treatment , and whats cause this , do i have to see a doctor or will it go away .
Doctor :   Knee effusions may be related to overuse, infection, trauma, or systemic disease. Thorough history taking, laboratory sc reening, and arthrocentesis (get the liquid from the knee) with appropriate referral are strongly suggested. It is not water, it is a synovial liquid produced by the knee itself in response to an aggression as stated before. Once determined the cause of the effusion, the doctor can discuss the treatment choices available.