Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Knee in jury causing foot pain

Knee in jury causing foot pain

Patient: I dropped a 50 pound box on my right knee, why is there pain going down my leg into my foot?

Symptoms: Pain in knee, calf, and foot.

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is possible that this blunt force trauma caused diffuse inflammation to the entire lower leg, resulting in radiating pain down the leg into the foot. Another possible cause of this radiating pain is that the knee injury you sustained could have caused minor injury to a nerve that supplies your lower leg and foot. Based on your brief description, we believe that you should follow up with your doctor to have your knee and lower leg examined to make sure there is no serious injury that requires further treatment.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com