Knee Injuries, increased pain

Q: In December 2014 I was diagnosed with a medial patellofemoral ligament sprain & anterior lateral tibial plateau injury of some sort. Only my left knee was MRI scanned, but I have similar pain in my right knee, too.
I was informed that I was fit to work. My shifts at work were increased over the Christmas period (I worked in a sales job on a cruise ship), and I was forced to work around 9/10 hours a day - standing. I was only allowed 6hrs of sleep (on average) and the pain in both my knees changed and increased significantly day by day, to the extent that I couldn't walk anymore. I quit my job, have been home for 2 months, taking Diclofenac Sodium 50mg and not walking for more than 20 mins a day.

Really worried and desperate to know:
Did I do more damage/more injury because the pain is definitely different and more severe?
How long will this injury take to heal?
How do I help recover? What should I avoid doing?

A:   Hello
Thank you for posting your query on ATD.

I have gone through your query and understand your concern. You are having patellofemoral strain. Treatment of it is rest and analgesic such as ibuprofen for pain relief. Vitamin B and C is helpful in recovery. You should take rest. Not resting may lead to increase in pain. Injury leads to nearly 4 weeks to heal. You will help recovery by rest. You should avoid running and exercise.
Hope your query get answered.

Wishing you a good health.
Take care.