Knee Injury- Collegiate Athlete

Patient : I recently injured my left knee. I am a collegiate field hockey player and was wondering what the quickest treatment is. Here's how I injured my knee. My team often does a lot of running drills to improve our speed and agility skills. One of the drills in particular requires us to stop abruptly and pivot. I must have twisted my knee one time when I was pivoting. I do not have any initial pain in my knee when I am practicing or playing in games, but after practice and games my knee swells and I have pain. sometimes the pain is so bad that I can barely walk. I ice and rest my knee when it swells. I have seen my athletic trainer about this and he seems to think that I have a tear in my medial meniscus. However, he does not understand why my knee swells after physical activity and not before or during physical activity. Should I see an orthopedic surgeon about this injury?
Doctor :   This question is currently in queue and will be answered shortly by one of our doctors. In the meantime you may browse our library of answered questions by clicking here.

Related Q&A

Q: My name is Carlton Jackson. My date of birth is April 3, 1955. In the spring of 1973 I hyperextended my left knee w...

Q: I ama 68 year old female who has been very active. Have not been exercising during last month due to cataract surger...

Q: My daughter was playing volleyball and dove/slide in for the ball. She said it hurt her right knee. But she was outsi...

Q: My knee is severely swollen (size of a grapefruit). I had an xray which was normal. It hurts a ton on the inside of m...

Q: When i went up the stairs i got knee pain as if its twisting on the inside. INtense pain for at least 5 minutes cant ...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon