Knee Injury: possible menisci lesion?

Patient

Q: I was jogging yesterday and I heard and felt something pop in my right knee.The pain is sometimes much worse than others. It seems to hurt the most behind my knee and under the knee cap in the front. I can't put any weight without extreme pain. Please tell there's a way to help this heal. I have no medical insurance so surgery may be out of the question. Thanks, Don J.

Doctor

A:   Given the description you have written about the problem of your knee,  it might be important to rule out a Meniscus lesion. The menisci are C-shaped wedges of fibro cartilage located between the tibia and femur, and very close related to knee ligaments and attached also to the joint capsule. They are susceptible to get injured with leg rotation movements or rotational forces applied to them, and the lesion produced can be partial or complete tear. Meniscus injuries are common in active people as you, who are involved in sporting or physical activities. Pain along with locking or buckling are  common symptoms after a meniscus lesion develops. Locking usually occurs at 20-45° of joint extension. If a torn fragment has been trapped within the joint, extension may feel limited against a rubbery resistance. Joint inflammation or capsular involvement also may resemble locking. A more reliable indicator of meniscus lesion is a click, pop  or snaps after the joint unlocks, it can be or not associated with pain. A sensation of giving way may occur when the loose fragment becomes lodged for a moment in the knee joint, causing a sense of buckling. This finding should be distinguished from the sensation of giving way due to joint instability (eg, ACL tear) or buckling secondary to decreased activity of the quadriceps femoris muscle.