Knee Injury: Signs, Symptoms and Remedies

Q: Hi i suffered a stamp to my left knee whilst playing football!! i have had a ct scan and also a mri scan the doctors say it is just bruising to the bone (top of my shin) and bruising to the ligaments but i have been in bad pain since. is this normal and how long will it take to heel? the pain i suffer is a dull ache which goes from just above the knee right down to my toes and i also get very mild pins and needles in my foot when i have been on my feet for any long period of time. any advice recieved would be grateful thanks

A:   The knee has a complex architecture of joints and ligaments. In fact, it is the largest joint in the body. Football is a common cause of knee injury. A CT scan usually defines the bone but the MRI is superior when it comes to ligament tears or joint abnormalities. Since you already had an MRI done, it is likely that a potential serious knee injury has been ruled out since it only showed bruising. It might take weeks to months to completely heal a knee injury. Immobilizing the affected knee and avoiding running (in general, avoid repetitive knee movements) will hasten the healing process. Over the counter pain relievers (oral or topical) may be helpful. You may also try to put a pillow on your left foot when sleeping; this will improve the blood flow to your knee and help in healing. As for the mild pins and needles sensation, there could be a pinched nerve on the knee area, which is also due to the injury. To be sure, have it checked by a doctor as nerve problems may have permanent consequences. Vitamin B complex supplements may help improve the pins and needles sensations but it still needs to be checked by a doctor. I hope this helps. Take care always.